Monday, September 29, 2008

Then a little history

I am a Canadian who happened to be born in the United States. As a Christian, I always assumed that I understood Christians everywhere. As I learned to think independently of my parents, I also learned that I was thorougly perplexed by the "Religious Right" both in Canada and the States. Through CNN and election news, I have learned how very unknowledgable I am about this group of people whom I consider my brothers and sisters in Christ. Very interesting! Through a Bible School friend's blog, I have met a few other lovely people who have been so kind as to answer many of my questions. However, I've begun to feel bad about hijacking their blogs any time they mention governmental politics or social conventions with my numerous questions! Time for a site of my own to indulge this great love of mine.

As the topic of the conversation has been talk about the Conservative/Libertarian movement and how it is followed in the Christian community, that will likely take up some of the space. I've also been asked to explain Canadian politics, so that will hopefully happen as well. I'm currently stuck trying to figure out how to explain that we have a centrist (according to our political spectrum) party that is proud to call itself "Liberal." Canada is also under and election right now, so that will also likely take up some space. I'm currently watching a talk show/political news show where the host is promising the Prime Minister a kitty if he will come on the show (every other leader is) and harm to the poor cat if the PM won't show! Got to love "The Hour!"

Anyways, welcome! Feel free to answer questions and ask questions to your heart's content. Basically any topic is fair game.

7 comments:

chelleybutton said...

Re: your purpose, I like your disclaimer statement. :)

Re: your about me section, I don't like it either when one side views another side as "crazy." You can think they're wrong, but you should at least be able to see where they're coming from, hopefully! So I hope I don't do that, although politics gets so personal that I know it's easy to do at times -- or sound like you do! (I don't think you're crazy, btw:)

Kimberly said...

Exactly!
There are so many reasonable ideas out there. I don't agree with a lot of them, but that doesn't mean that they are not valid.

chelleybutton said...

I don't think it fosters discussion or growth either. I think that attitude that the other side/party is "crazy" just puts people on the defensive and makes them want to defend their side stubbornly and refuse to hear what the other side has to say. If that makes sense. :)

Kimberly said...

yup!
I read a great article the other day that I tried to link to earlier and it didn't work, but maybe Josh can help me out. It is rather anti-Republican but if you will forgive it that, it's a very interesting article.
I'll post the link here if I can't get it to work as a side link

Kimberly said...

a ha!
It worked!
It's the "My candidate, myself" one. Much thanks to the Dilbert blog for highlighting this interesting bit of research.

HonorMommy said...

I prefer to think of the other side as "misinformed"... ;-P

chelleybutton said...

yes, that's MUCH nicer than "crazy," honormommy (really:) ...i may disagree with someone but i can usually see in part why they think the way they do; i just don't like it when they say things like, "how could somebody think that???" or the like :) (i've experienced or heard this plenty of times)